a bit of History
The main castle was build in 1706 and was an extention of a 16th century farmstead. This means it has been transferred from generation to generation from 1580 to this day
Several generations later, Jean Curtius’ great-grand son, Blaise-Henri de Cortes, builds the Château de Waleffe, along with the help from his mother, Marguerite d’Alagon.
The Castle is built as an extension to the pre-existing 16th century farmstead,which had been inherited by marriage through the de Lierneux family.
Jean Curtius (aka: Jean de Cortes), was born in Liege, located in the southern, French-speaking region of Belgium. He became a wealthy industrialist, after monopolizing the commerce of gun powder to the Spanish armies of king Philippe II. In addition to the gunpowder that was brought back during his many trips from Asia, Curtius would also fill his boats with loads of Asian art, such as miniature Chinese porcelain vases and rice paper paintings, which can still today be spotted everywhere in the château.
During World War II around Christmas day, five-hundred American soldiers from the 263rd division of logistics arrived at Waleffe, staying for about a year.
The interiors of the château as well as the former french-style gardens and fountains were directly inspired by the designs of Daniel Marot, combining the highest refinement with an elegant simplicity.
Today, the castle is still inhabited by the Barons de Potesta de Waleffe, who have been looking after the property for the past 13 generations and are direct descents of the great Curtius. The Château de Waleffe has been listed by the authorities of Wallonia (French-speaking southern region of Belgium) as a heritage of exceptional interest.